Thursday, November 15, 2007

Poof!

I took this blog off my profile's list of displayed blogs. I'm still not sure what the purpose of this blog has ever really been, but I had some coworker stumble upon it and it seemed, in retrospect, too personal for the world at large.

It is still, you know, on the internet, but this seems like a happy compromise. Theoretically only those who have already found it will know about it. The mere threat that one or more such people might read it should be enough to keep me motivated to post, and post genuinely.

- - - -

In any case, I braved a game of Puerto Rico with the Roomies. I undertook a drastically different strategy in an effort to throw myself out of old habits, but still found myself hoping and angling for victory within one turn.

No complaining that I can remember, which was good! I still had some excusemaking, mentioning a bit that I was trying something new, but I think I managed to make it sound at least a little conversational. Baby steps.

I worked in several positive comments, which might have seemed forced, though I did mean them. The fact is, I'm a TALKER. The more my brain is on, the more my mouth wants to talk, and a good strategy game is meant to engage the brain. So its just going to have to happen, I've decided not to fight it. I just need to avoid overthinking, and make sure that whatever I say remains mostly positive.

I ended up winning on the Doubloon tiebreaker, but was perfectly ready to accept loss.

One issue was at the very end, where I pulled an elaborate move to end the game next round, while denying Robin the option to buy and man a 2nd big building in time. It ended up not being the difference. I wondered whether it was too cutthroat a move; mostly it was just a clever-feeling play that I wanted to attempt, and it seemed despotic to deny myself it. I'm still undecided.


Oh, also, last weekend we drafted Magic. I moaned about the deck I ended up building, which really did look bad, but ended up going undefeated over about 7 matches. But, I don't know - it really was my assessment that the deck sucked, and as a talker, it might just be unstoppable to say so. I was downright appologetic to opponents who I inexplicably was able to crush.

As a bigger issue, it occured to me to wonder whether this blog was helping or hurting, at this point. Is it just making me neurotic? I think its still helping, I just have certain habits that are really dying hard, and realizing how many times I end up writing the same halfhearted victories will hopefully serve to keep my on my toes.

No comments: